IP Network Design Specialist – TalkTalk Technology, Manchester
May 2015 – Present (2 years 11 months)
As an IP Network Design Specialist, I was responsible for the Design and Development of existing network implementations and to fulfil new requirements derived from business needs as well as innovate new idea and technology to enhance the network.
My responsibilities are:
- Reporting to the Network Design Manager on projects and directorates
- Requirements gathering from within the business for Design Projects
- High Level and Low Level Design Documentation completion
- Producing and performing network test plans
- Process Documentation Completion
- Network software analysis, testing and scripting
- Line Analysis and technology analysis
- Development of new technologies in the network arena.
- 3rd Line Operational Support
- Partake in vendor selection process (RFI/RFP)
- Supplier/Stakeholder engagement
- Provide a Senior role for leadership in core/edge/access domains across all technologies
- Regression testing / POC
- Lead on key strategic projects
Whilst working in the Network Design Department, I have worked on a number of high profile projects for the business such as transforming a network wide layer 2 infrastructure into a layer 3 MPLS network, upgrading the standard QoS model to reflect today’s business requirements , automating business circuit commissioning and introductiing HD IPTV streams across the core. All these required working heavily on the following vendor equipment, Juniper, Cisco, Huawei, Fortinet, F5, Redback, Ciena and Alteon.
I’ve also gained increased technical knowledge in MPLS, BGP, OSPF, Per service QoS, Carrier QoS, Layer2VPNs/VPLS and Layer3VPNs.
B2B IP Network Engineer (Acting Team Leader) – TalkTalk Technology, Manchester
August 2014 – May 2015 (10 months)
As well as my normal duties, I have undertaken the role of Acting Team Leader in my Line manager’s absence. My main responsibilities are:
- Setting work direction and tasks for B2B Teams
- Ensure the correct level of documentation is created, reviewed and maintained and adhered to
- Setting and managing objectives for engineers.
- Develop and implement best practice for new works and operational processes and procedures
- Manage network changes or upgrades (in conjunction with Operations), ensuring that they are implemented with minimal interruption to the end customer
- Coordinate the pro-active analysis of network components to ensure that all network performance objectives and targets are met
- Provide leadership and direction during the escalation of major service outages on the network or project risks and issues that are delivery impacting
- Technical liaison with internal teams and external third party suppliers to manage the investigation and resolution of network issues
- Liaise with external suppliers to ensure timely delivery of network upgrades and enhancements
- Manage projects to ensure that network changes are implemented in line with defined change management procedures, with minimal interruption to operational services
- Undertake network maintenance – proactive; preventative and reactive to ensure network remains operational, resilient and efficient
- To think beyond traditional technical problems and understand the commercial impact of Operational decision making with sound judgment in making timely decisions
Senior Network Engineer – Vaioni, Manchester
March 2014 – August (6 months)
Vaioni is a leading UK and global provider of Next Generation Carrier Ethernet Services, VPLS and PWAN solutions, encompassing world class, virtualised UTM Security Services, voice and IP cloud services, working within Carrier Wholesale, The Channel and Corporate Enterprise.
- Responsible for the Vaioni Core and Access network which consists of Juniper, Ciena, Mikrotik Routerboard and Fortigate hardware
- Lead the migration project of moving the core network from Cisco (7200 series) to Juniper (MX480 series) which required extensive work in Telehouse London and Harbour Exchange
- Network Design for customers solutions and network improvements which involved writing high level and low level design documents
- Network Security for both the Vaioni Network and Customers with a managed solution using Fortigate firewalls
- Implement, commission and maintain customer solutions from a single managed CPE to multiple site MPLS/Carrier Ethernet networks
- Pre-Sales with new or existing customers to discuss their future requirements
- Was responsible for Designing and Implementing the Talk Straight ISP network
Provide technical support, consultancy and third line fault investigation to support the Network Operations team
B2B IP Network Engineer – TalkTalk Technology, Manchester
April 2013 – March 2014 (1 year)
• Support network changes and upgrades (in conjunction with Operations), ensuring that they are implemented with minimal interruption to the end customer
• Coordinate the pro-active analysis of network components to ensure that all network performance objectives and targets are met
• Work with the Senior IP B2B Engineers to become technical liaison with internal teams and external third party suppliers to manage the investigation and resolution of network issues
• Liaise with external suppliers to ensure timely delivery of network upgrades and enhancements
• Undertake network maintenance – proactive; preventative and reactive to ensure network remains operational, resilient and efficient
• Undertake new works associated with the B2B access network including EAD/EFM B2B and any new emerging technologies from the CE portfolio, such as ISDN and SIP
• Provide technical support to other departments within TTT/TTB
• Work closely with TTB/OBS/resellers to help identify issues and work towards providing resolution.
• Ensure that all faults are investigated and resolved within agreed SLA’s
NOC Engineer – TalkTalk Technology, Manchester
July 2012 – April 2013 (10 months)
• Incident management, fault diagnosis and incident resolution
• Authorised to access and make changes on the live network (working on Redback routers, Huawei Switches, MSANs and DSLAMs, Juniper core routers and switches, Cisco switches and RAD LA-210 EFM termination kit).
• Manage incident trouble tickets; ensuring that trouble tickets are regularly updated with meaningful technical analysis and next action timeframes
• Manage open trouble tickets, liaising with external suppliers and other TTT departments to ensure minimum disruption and downtime on the network
• Incident detection, identification and diagnosis using industry standard network monitoring and management tools such as ZenOSS, Nagios, Cacti and other proprietary network element management systems
• Identify, assess and resolve any network layer incidents, faults or network performance issues
• Manage technical escalation of incident ticket to IP Access, B2B Engineering and IP Engineering to ensure that incidents can be resolved in accordance
• Gained experience working on one of the UK’s largest ISP’s, vastly increased technical knowledge in Layer2 and 3 VPNs, routing and switching.
Operations Engineer – BT Lancashire Services, Lancaster
February 2011 – July 2012 (1 year 6 months)
One Connect Limited is a partnership between BT and Lancashire County Council. The partnership was set up to improve service delivery to the people, schools, businesses and organisations of Lancashire and to ensure best value for money for the County Council.
In addition to carrying on with my duties carried over from my post at LUNS, I now have responsibility of core router monitoring on the Cumbria and Lancashire Education Online (CLEO) network using a system I developed with Cacti. I have also developed a system that backs up all of the core routers and DSLAM configurations using RANCID (equipment configurations for Juniper, Cisco routers, Hatteras DSLAMs, HP switches, Checkpoint firewalls, and Lightening Edge switches).
I co-developed and maintain a system called ‘EngNet’ which uses VPLS/MPLS to create a logical LAN switch across the network which allows all Field Engineers to connect to the CLEO network and access the Internet through a Squid Web Proxy at any BT Exchange in Cumbria and Lancashire.
I now have sole responsibility for providing the CLEO NAT service which relies on me to provide Global IP’s to customers which are translated to their private range(s) on the CLEO network. This has to be secured by restricting the number of ports allowed inbound and outbound. This is done on an OpenBSD System.
I also provide field engineering support when required, travelling up to 300 miles a day to multiple BT exchanges, Mast sites, Core POP sites and end user sites across Cumbria and Lancashire to diagnose and fix problems. This includes mast climbing, running end-to-end TDR line tests on fibre optic and MPF circuits, replacing and commissioning equipment and joint meets with Virgin Media and BT Openreach.
In addition to undertaking my duties, I was also part of the Exhibit Team to help promote the company at the Lancashire ICT open day 2011 at the Woodlands ICT Centre.
After recently completing my JNCIS-SP exam, I am now working towards gaining the CCNP certification.
Operations Desk Analyst – Lancaster University Network Services Ltd, Lancaster
June 2008 – February 2011 (2 years 9 months)
LUNS is a market-leading, innovative and award-winning telecommunications company operating at the cutting edge of network service design, delivery and support.
As an Operations Desk Analyst my key roles were:
- Working as part of a team providing second and third level network and systems support to a large broadband network incorporating 1000+ end sites.
- Logging and investigating faults raised by telephone, email or the companies fault tracking system.
- Escalating faults to internal support staff or external suppliers such as THUS, Openreach, Virgin Media and Telewest.
- Working daily on network technologies such as ADSL, SDSL, Bonded SDSL, Unlicensed/Licensed band Radio technologies and fibre solutions to urban, and rural communities on a wide range of equipment (Juniper, Cisco, Hatteras, Net2Net, Stinger, Lightening Edge, Allied Telesyn, Alvarion and NERA).
- Required to use multiple operating systems such as: Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS, Solaris 10, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server.
- Utilising routing protocols such as BGP, OSPF, MPLS, VPLS and Layer3VPNs.
- Providing second line support for a range of system services, which includes DNS/Webspace services, Virtual Learning Environments and Email.
- Version control with SVN and GIT.
- Mast Climbing where necessary to provide the physical infrastructure required for microwave links.
- Responsibility for providing the CLEO NAT and CLEO Webgateway services via a Juniper Firewall.
- Developing a birds-eye view of the CLEO network using Cacti and Weathermaps.
Extensive knowledge of JUNOS and Cisco IOS, which has been developed whilst working on LUNS network routers and switches (Juniper and Cisco hardware).
I had sole responsibility for the provision of new connections and providing technical support to LUNS customers who reside in the Lancaster Enviroment Centre and Infolab 21 buildings on the Lancaster University campus.
In addition to undertaking my duties, I was also chosen to be part of the Exhibit Team at BETT 2011 in London, where I assisted in promoting the company to prospective customers.
IT Technician- Queen Katherine Secondary School, Kendal
October 2005 – June 2008 (2 years 9 months)
- Worked as part of a small team to provide first, second and third line support to staff and pupils.
- Helped design and commission the network infrastructure for the school.
- Developed skills in Windows Server 2003/2008, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, SIMS, TCP/IP Protocols, DHCP and DNS.
- Sole responsibility in data backups and restores (using Symantec Backup Exec) and management of the Sophos Enterprise Server (Anti-virus and Spyware centrally managed for all workstations in the school).
- Travelled to local primary and special schools around Kendal to provide two hours of technical support ranging from server configuration to desktop support.
Asda – Store Team Leader, Kendal
February 2004 – October 2005 (1 year 8 months)
- Provided customer services, primarily in the Bakery department.
- Trained in customer care and as a till operator.
- Demonstrated excellent communication and teamwork skills within a fast-paced environment which resulted in my promotion to Team Leader.
References are available upon request.